2022 is a good time for homeowners to open a new chapter in their real estate journey. Experts say that when buying a house this year, homeowners should think of it as a housing decision and not an investment one, especially if they are thinking of staying in the home for five years or more. This is because the property will more likely appreciate over time. Moreover, while prices will continue to climb, they won’t climb as steeply as they have in the past two years.
If you are planning to renovate your current home or move to a new one, here are some 2022 home exterior trends you need to know.
A Moody Color Palette
One trend that has been making the rounds in the past year is a more moody color palette, which means darker, deep charcoal colors. While fully dark exteriors can be a bit overwhelming, the happy medium is color blocking—or combining deeper shades with white or cream. Color blocking is all about curating complementary colors so that two or three colors come together to create vibrant energy and a positive impact on the eyes.
Here are some ways to achieve this new trend:
- Opt for white or cream on the main walls, but choose a deep, moody shade for the roof, doors, and window panes. Also, the garage door can be repaired and repainted so that it can have the same dark shade as the other parts of the exterior.
- If neutral colors are not your style, you can add interest by going for more unexpected and vibrant colors like aqua. You can opt for an accent color for the door to give your exteriors a much-needed oomph.
- When it comes to using color to design anything, the 60-30-10 color rule is a great guide to follow. The whole idea is based on the principle that balance is everything in design, and enforcing this rule will ensure that your exteriors have proportion and balance. Sixty percent is the main color, which is the color you use for the walls. On the other hand, 30 percent is the secondary color, and it exists to support the primary color, making it perfect for the linings, window panes, and even the roof. The remaining ten percent is the accent color, which is ideal for the door.
The color palette you choose can instantly make your home appear modern or outdated, so you want to make sure you only use shades that look straight out of an architectural magazine in 2022. Here are some Benjamin Moore shades that are on-trend at the moment:
For whites or creams:
- Simply White
- Atrium White
- White Dove
For a soft, neutral shade:
- Classic Grey
For green or blue:
- Oyster Shell
- Cobblestone Path
- Grey Owl
- Oil Cloth
- Storm Cloud
- October Mist (Benjamin Moore’s Color of the Year 2022)
For dark colors:
- Cheating Heart
- Hale Navy
Let these incredible trendy shades give you an idea of how you want your home’s exteriors to look and what kind of color palette you need to shape it.
There are no two ways about it. The trend for both exterior and interior design right now is the modern farmhouse. It’s simply the perfect fusion between comfort and clean lines, and the whole idea is for the homeowner to be surrounded by things that make them feel good. Some of the most common elements of this aesthetic are the following:
- Reclaimed wood
- Vintage accessories
- Neutral colors
- Wide plank floors
- Barnboard details
- Wrought iron accents
- Big comfortable furniture
- Pine furniture
- Architectural salvage
This is a trend that’s not going away anytime soon, so homeowners would be smart to incorporate it into their exterior design as well. Here are the key elements of a modern farmhouse exterior:
- Combine crisp paint shades with more rustic textures because the whole idea is to give a rustic look a modern upgrade. One practical way this can work is by combining neutral colors with natural wood.
- Incorporate industrial-inspired hardware, especially for the light fixtures and gutters. Copper with black, white, and wood may seem weird on paper, but they complement each other well once they come together.
- Add a cobblestone walkway or driveway to elevate the rustic feel.
- Don’t forget to hydrate your grass and add plant boxes to incorporate a more “cottagecore” atmosphere.
2022 is a great year for aspiring homeowners to dream once again. Motivate yourself by dreaming up plans for your future home, and don’t be afraid to explore the possibility of renovating or buying. We all could use a new beginning after the past two years we’ve had.